Sunday, September 11, 2011

Welcome to my world of books! (By ChickyMara)


Welcome to my world of books.  And thanks for coming.  I was thrilled when STELLAA asked me to join their group of bloggers and to share my love of reading, books, and the power of words. It’s hard to capture the passion and love that I feel for books. 

Aside: You’ll notice that I don’t use the word literature, because sometimes what you’re reading isn’t actually ‘literature’ in the true definition of the word. (Everyone has their secret pleasures).

A book can be many things: an escape, a way to make something better,  a world other than your own.  Sometimes a book can do much more than just entertain-it can educate, it can train, it can transform. 

I am a huge believer in literacy, and the power of the written word. Reading can take many forms:  books, magazines, comics, even signs and pamphlets.  It doesn’t matter where or what you read.  What matters is that you have the opportunity to stretch your mind and take it to other places, to gain the information you need, or even to find your way. 

STELLAA is working to make that happen. By making books available to those who would not have access to them, they are providing them the opportunity to move beyond, to gain the knowledge, to grow.  All people- children and adults, rich or poor, should have the opportunity to develop a love of the written word.

I’m not an activist.  I will write about what matters to me about literacy and how it fits into the greater scheme of life.  My feelings towards the importance of reading are organic.  They come out of what I’ve seen words and knowledge accomplish; how they have enriched my life and the lives of my children.

I hope you enjoy taking this journey with me as we explore the power of the book together.  I look forward to creating and debating.  You don’t always have to agree with me, and I welcome constructive comments and suggestions.  Let’s do this!

If you’d like to chat, follow me on Twitter. I’m @chickymara.  

No comments:

Post a Comment